Meet the Appleseeds Coaches

Head Coach

Derek Leininger

Derek Leininger began running cross country and track in middle school.  Derek was a state medalist and school record holder in the 800 meter run his senior year at Columbia City HS.

Leininger coached high school cross country and track for twelve years: one year at East Noble HS (2003), two years at Concordia Lutheran HS (2004-2006), and nine years at Snider HS (2006-2015).  At Snider, Leininger coached three state-qualifying cross country teams and dozens of all-state cross country and track athletes. The Snider boys 4×800 meter relay team from 2012 still holds the all-time indoor state record.

In 2017, Derek and his wife Gwendolyn co-authored the book Enduring Wisdom, which highlights training and coaching approaches of some of Indiana’s all-time winningest cross country coaches.

Derek continues to be an active runner and he participates in several road races each year.

Assistant Coaches

Megan Theismann

Megan Thiesmann began running cross country and track in middle school and now competes at the collegiate level at Indiana Tech. She graduated from Norwell High School in 2017. This will be Megan’s second year as an assistant coach for Appleseeds. She enjoys helping kids have fun with running and improve their abilities along the way!

Austin Rockstroh

Austin has been running for 9 years and has grown very attached to the sport and the people in it. Currently, he runs cross country and track at Purdue Fort Wayne and is looking to further his career in running after graduation. Austin loves to see people have fun in running and improving to reach their goals! He would love to be able to help people in their running as his coaches have helped him.

“In all the miles I’ve run, I’ve found a lot of fabulous friends (and myself) along the way!”

Sherrie Konkle

#IAm3RRC

Share Your Story