Meet the Appleseeds Coaches

Head Coach

Derek Leininger

Derek Leininger began running cross country and track in middle school.  Derek was a state medalist and school record holder in the 800 meter run his senior year at Columbia City HS.

Leininger coached high school cross country and track for twelve years: one year at East Noble HS (2003), two years at Concordia Lutheran HS (2004-2006), and nine years at Snider HS (2006-2015).  At Snider, Leininger coached three state-qualifying cross country teams and dozens of all-state cross country and track athletes. The Snider boys 4×800 meter relay team from 2012 still holds the all-time indoor state record.

In 2017, Derek and his wife Gwendolyn co-authored the book Enduring Wisdom, which highlights training and coaching approaches of some of Indiana’s all-time winningest cross country coaches.

Derek continues to be an active runner and he participates in several road races each year.

Assistant Coaches

Cory Waldron

Andrew Whitinger

Andrew Whitinger began running track and cross country in middle school and is now a collegiate athlete competing for Purdue Fort Wayne University. Andrew Graduated from Blue River Valley High School in 2019. He is a Business Marketing Major at Purdue Fort Wayne and a record holder on their Track and Cross Country Teams. Andrew is an employee at Three Rivers Running Company and this will be his first year as an assistant coach for Appleseeds. He enjoys helping kids find joy in running and helping them get faster along the way.

“I started running because my daughter was so into it and it was something we could do together. When I first started going to 3RRC, everyone acted as though they had known me forever. They are all so sincere and helpful; it’s such a pleasant and cheery place!”

Cathy Pusey

#IAm3RRC

Share Your Story